Sunday, January 8, 2012

Love Always and Forever

If you know me you know that I love tattoos. I love how they look and the meaning behind them. I currently have five. My first one was a small flower with a vine of leaves on my foot. I was surprised that it didn't hurt, it could have been the fact that my tattoo artist was gorgeous and had my foot practically in his lap. He's talented, tattooed, has a good heart  and just a  peaceful soul that draws you to him.If anyone reads this and wants to meet said person or get some amazing work done I suggest going to Triple 6 Tattoo in Wilkes Barre ask for Bruce. He's the best and you'll see I was right.

 My second tattoo would be four daises ( my favorite flower) and two side lying S's their meaning is it represents  my family. A daisy for each of us and I'm original last name starts with S. My third was a flame placed in the  center of my chest. This one has had a love hate relationship with me. I hate where it is sometimes and I consider from time to time having it removed. But then I love it because when I straightened my life out I got it as a constant reminder of where I came from. If you would ask my Mom to describe me she would call me "her wild child" and yes I was. I saw it all first hand the  bad relationship, too much partying and for a while I just  forgot who I was. So I can't part with it because I would miss it. It's me.

Number four came via a tattoo shop in Virginia. I once had an old biker friend tell me "don't cheat on your man or your tattoo artist". So yes I cheated. I was in Virginia and felt like I was finally, as my Dad would say "getting my shit together" so I got a butterfly. What better way to express the change I was going through. Just think of a butterfly starts off pretty ugly and turns out beautiful.

Number five and my most favorite one, also the one I caught the most shit for is a very beautiful  sugar skull on my leg. Now hold onto your socks kids I'm gonna drop some knowledge on you...

           Sugar skulls can be traced  back to twelfth century Europe and with immigration and all that good stuff landed in Mexico with the Spanish settlers.  El día de los muertos ( which is fun to say) and All Saint's Day are the days when there is a focus on gatherings of family and friends to pray for and remember friends and family members who have died. It's mostly celebrated in Mexico because god knows our society looks at a skull as taboo or a sign of death. So anyway they celebrate on November 1st and 2nd, in connection with the Catholic holidays of All Saints Day (November 1) and All Souls' Day  (November 2).  People will build  altars honoring their  deceased loved ones and decorate them with sugar skulls, marigolds and  favorite food and drinks of the deceased. The intent is that on all souls day when the deceased loved one comes back they would see the alter and offerings and know that their loved ones were waiting for them. Basically to have one more day with them. And that was a knowledge drop.

So I got my sugar skull after the death of my Nana. My Nana and Pappy (my father's parents) both have passed away. They also were a big part of my life. My Pappy would yell "where's my Annie" as
I would walk into their house every Saturday growing up and to this day I can still hear how he sounded. My Nana after she lost my Pappy was ready to go too, but she would live another decade or so without him. They were the picture of love in my eyes. The day he died a piece of her died. She once said to me " I'm just waiting for Larry (my pappy) to be ready for me". I hope one day I have someone that will feel this way about me. My sugar skull is in honor of them. I would love one more day with them both.

That brings me to future number six which has yet to be inked upon me. I need time to go between school, a 4 year old and life it has yet to happen but soon. I have the itch and if you have a tattoo you know what I mean.  My idea, which I will humbly give free reign with design to Bruce is a vine of Dogwood and Cherry blossoms to represent PA and VA, something that is undecided in honor of my Mom. I'm thinking a Sparrow.  Back in the day Sailors would get  a sparrow tattoo before leaving, hoping it would  help bring them safely home again very symbolic of my realtionship with my Mom. I also would like a  banner with "Love always & forever" . Which is how my Granny ( Mom's Mom) signs all her letters and cards to me. Also one of the simplest phrases that has a ton of meaning in it.

What if we all just loved always and forever, no matter what. I can say that if you know me and I care about you it will be just that. Always and Forever. Recently Bruce posted on his facebook a quote from Johnny Depp ( which who doesn't like Johnny he can  park his boots next to my bed anytime) ok onto the quote.
                               
                         “My body is my journal,and my tattoos are my story” -Johnny Depp. Well said Mr. Depp. I also have to say a special thank you to Bruce, thanks for helping me tell my story and continue to help me tell it.

No comments:

Post a Comment