Monday, January 23, 2012

So long Joe Pa

I wrote this post yesterday after hearing the news that Joe Paterno had passed away.....

      As a little girl there was one thing I knew and it was Penn State football was a big part of being from PA. Growing up in North East Pennsylvania with a father who coaches from the living room couch I had no choice but to know Penn State. I can remember going to football games with my Mom, Dad and sister wearing our blue and white and cheering on the Nittany Lions. I remember the overwhelming feeling of excitement that ran through your body as Joe Pa and the Nittany Lions would run out of the tunnel onto the field. Now as an adult I still enjoy watching the games on TV. They still have the same effect as they did when I was little. Yes my Dad still yells at the TV and he has gotten more colorful with the strings of curses that fly out of his mouth after a bad play. But this to me is Penn State. It's a place where your life changes, if you meet anyone who has gone to Penn State there is this underlying sense of pride, it's more than a University.
      It was the only college I applied to and the thankfully they sent me a letter of acceptance. Now of course I can look back and say my decision to drop out two semesters in was bad, but I won't because I wouldn't be the person I am today without the path I choose. There was a running joke after Dakota's birth that he would play football for Joe Pa, so Joe would be 99, a little unrealistic but it was a nice thought that he could have a little impact on my son's life.
     There is something about Joe Pa that draws you in to him, maybe it's the coke bottle glasses, the raspy voice or  the fact that he is just a simple man, not flashy just plain ol Joe Pa. It could be that he pushes his players to do good both on the field and off. But the thing that impressed me the most is a story I read that talked about a player in 2000 who was injured during a game.  Penn State freshman defensive back Adam Taliaferro had his spine crushed when tackling an Ohio State player. He laid on the field paralyzed. He was taken to a hospital in Philadelphia where on weekends Joe Pa would visit him and give him encouragement along with stories from the game. This story touches me because as a nurse  I understand the power that words from loved ones have on patients. The story went on to say that each time Joe Pa would visit this kid he would give him a goal like "next time I come I want to see you move another body part". Adam did just that he kept improving. Joe Pa continued to motivate Adam after his recovery and he ended up becoming a lawyer .
         Joe Pa has done some great things for Penn State. He has donated money to add on to the Campus Library. He donated $1 million to the Mount Nittany Medical Center which was used to build a wing to the hospital.  Joe Pa has made men out of boys who came to play football by not letting them be lazy in their life and holding them accountable for their actions. His wife ,Sue, would tutor players whose studies were starting to drop and he made countless donations to a University he believed in.
        Yes, Joe Pa made a mistake at the end of his career. But who are we to judge his actions. I can say I know what I would have done if in that situation. If I was McQueary, Sandusky would have not walked out of that locker room alive. I can only hope and pray that Sandusky is found guilty and sent to prison where he can be raped anally every waking moment of what is left of his pitiful life. Drastic, yes the man is a bastard. He deserves nothing. As adults we need to protect children and for McQueary to see something and not act right then and there, is just sad. Yes Joe Pa should have done more, he should have screamed about it till he was heard, but that's not for me to judge, and who knows maybe in that situation he felt he did what he was suppose to.
        I will forever remember Joe Pa as the coach who ran onto the field in his windbreaker, khakis and black sneakers leading his guys to another win or sometimes just a  learning experience due to a loss. I also pray that  Happy Valley can find it's happiness again, Joe Pa would want that.
        Rest in peace Joe Pa.

No comments:

Post a Comment